Sunday, June 5, 2011

The body on the brain

I always find it interesting when different people end up posting about similar topics. I just posted something on having an eternal perspective about my body (hard to do sometimes with chronic illness and as I age), and then I found this post at Segullah called "Your Body is Special."

And then there was this post on Deep Beauty at Women in the Scriptures. (LOVE!)

Which then reminds me about the interview I had with the Beauty Redefined twins a few months back. (I'm so excited for their new billboards!) (This post is worth a glance, too -- the "Day of Beauty" video is amazing, and, of course, so is Stephanie Nielson (NieNie).)

And, hm, look at what was open in my browser tabs. I actually had it open for another reason, but "The Reflection in the Water" by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf is a perfect talk for this topic.

Add to that another post that just came to mind that was published just over a week ago at Mormon Mommy Blogs: "Dressing Like Barbie." If you read my Mormon Women post, you'll see that it was yet another post by Mona at MMB that got me thinking about Elder Bateman's quote, which is why I wrote that piece.

Obviously, a lot of people have the issue of what I call the doctrine of the body on their minds right now. (And that isn't even all the posts that are out there!) Clearly it's something we need to hear repeatedly.

Any other posts you want to add to the list? What are your thoughts on how to have a healthy relationship with your body?

3 comments:

  1. Oddly, I don't think I've ever written a post on this topic. Maybe I should!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recap of important body-loving resources, Michelle! Thanks for including Beauty Redefined and for the nice words! I love that so many different people are talking about these issues and really thinking critically about the harms of body hatred and the power of loving and respecting our bodies. I hope it continues! It's a conversation that needs to be had repeatedly to help counteract all the harmful messages we hear from every other angle all day long. Thanks!
    -Lindsay
    BeautyRedefined.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, do it! And then let me know so I can add it to my link list. ;)

    Lindsay and Lexie, I think that interview really made a difference in my awareness level, which means you have succeeded by that measure with me. ; ) Thanks for all you do.

    m

    ReplyDelete